Google +

Add This

Bookmark and Share

Monday, October 20, 2008

A Light Bulb Comes On « Jaslar’s Weblog

A Light Bulb Comes On « Jaslar’s Weblog

A Light Bulb Comes On

October 20, 2008

I found it quite fascinating to learn how lacking regular incandescent light bulbs are in terms of energy efficiency. It’s interesting how a society so caught up in technological advancement is still heavily relying on the inefficient light bulb invented approximately 150 years ago. A light bulb that uses only 10% of the energy it consumes towards producing light, while the other 90% is wasted in heat production.

The potential of the LED is quite promising. A bulb that wastes no energy in heat and lasts 80 YEARS; wow. While LED technology is still in its infancy, it shows promise to replace both the incandescent and CFL bulbs as a far more efficient light source.

In addition to using LED’s, home owners have another (often overlooked) option: sunlight. Natural light has started to make a comeback as people become more conscious of green design. From Vaike’s lectures we learned about the health benefits of sunlight. Combine the health benefits with the energy savings of using sunlight and we have a winning combination. If homeowners, schools and businesses were able to rely on sulight for a majority of their lighting needs and used LEDs the rest of the time, individuals within these structures would potentially be happier and healthier, not to mention the energy savings taking place.



No comments: